The Caribbean Digital Transformation Project’s development objective is to increase access to digital services, technologies and skills by governments, businesses and individuals in the participating Eastern Caribbean countries. The Project comprises three components that address key bottlenecks and harness opportunities to develop the Eastern Caribbean Digital Economy as a driver of growth, job creation and improved service delivery. The three components are:
- Digital Ecosystem;
- Digital Infrastructure, Platforms and Services; and
- Digital Skills and Entrepreneurship.
The project is two tiered; nationally it follows a comprehensive, ecosystem-based approach, bringing together multiple arms of government and multiple economic and social sectors to build the core digital economy foundations simultaneously. It is intended to build on the progress made by countries in improving government connectivity through the Caribbean Regional Communications Infrastructure Program (CARCIP). The project will be implemented across four Eastern Caribbean countries - The Commonwealth of Dominica, Grenada, Saint Lucia and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. Regionally, implemented activities will focus on cross-cutting areas that support development of a digital economy (digital financial services, cyber-security and data protection, telecommunications to name a few.). Outputs from these activities will benefit all participant countries as well as the wider Eastern Caribbean region.
As a precursor to the project’s approval, Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) instruments are to be prepared. The ESF instruments seek to:
- Boost protection for people and the environment;
- Promote capacity and institution-building, and country ownership;
- Make advances in transparency, accountability and public participation;
- Ensure greater emphasis on stakeholder engagement and meaningful consultation throughout the project cycle; and
- Increased responsiveness and attention to project issues during implementation through adaptive risk management and proportionality.
Below is a list of ESF instruments for disclosure:
- Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP)
- Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF)
- Labor Management Procedures (LMP)
- Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF)
- Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP)